Inside American Islam
Top Islam expert Akbar Ahmed just visited one hundred mosques in America. We get his report.A picture taken as part of Prof. Akbar Ahmed’s project “Journey Into Islam” (Credit: flickr/journeyintoamerica)
It’s been a head-spinning couple of months for American Muslims. After quiet centuries in the country, and years of post-9.11 life that were sometimes tense but overall peaceful, suddenly Muslims in America are confronted with headlines and attitudes shouting “Islamophobia.”
That’s tough to take for citizens who have quietly weathered some tough years of war and strain. Very tough.
We look at Americans, Muslim Americans, in the storm. We hear from the leader of a team that’s visited a hundred mosques around the country and ask – what next?
Akbar Ahmed, professor of Islamic Studies at American University’s School of International Service. He traveled with a team to some 100 mosques in America. The result is chronicled in his new book, “Journey Into America: The Challenge of Islam.” You can read an excerpt.
Resa Aslan, author of “No god But God: The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam” and a contributing editor for The Daily Beast. Read his latest piece there, “The Charlatans Have Taken Over 9/11.”
- Steve Emerson: State Department Website Panders To Radical Islamists - BDS News, Letters from our Readers - SPME Scholars for Peace in the Middle East on “Journey into America” picked up by the State Department
- king on An Arab in Arab, Alabama
- Reflections on the mosque that burned in Tennessee | Craig Considine on Islamic Center of Columbia Attack–One Year Later
- Benny Belew on Kurds in Nashville
- gold prices on Kurds in Nashville